QUICK ANSWER – after hours of research, we chose WORLD NOMADS! Keep reading to learn why…
DO I REALLY NEED TRAVEL INSURANCE?
YES! Unfortunately, there will be situations beyond your control. If you become sick or injured, those medical bills can really add up. Or perhaps you have your bag stolen, or a flight cancelled. Maybe you accidentally break your phone on a night out. Although these events are unlikely, they do happen, and having travel insurance gives you that extra piece of mind that you are protected. It really is better to be safe than sorry. Natalie once got sick in the Philippines and needed tests at the hospital. In just 2 hours the bill came to over $300! Do not put it off, protect yourself!
CAN I GET INSURED IF I’M ALREADY TRAVELLING?
YES, but you are now limited with the insurance companies you can use. Our 1 year policy recently expired (this was not with World Nomads) and we assumed we could renew while travelling. This was not the case and to renew with our old insurers you have to be in your home country. Thankfully there are companies that will insure you while your travelling. These include Big Cat, True Traveller & World Nomads. World Nomads will also let you extend your policy while you’re still travelling.
HOW TO CHOOSE WHO TO GO WITH?
CompareTheMarket.com is a great platform for comparing policies, however, with an abundance of insurers offering a multitude of policies, it can be a daunting task when choosing the right one. Here are some important features to look out for:
- Check the excess and ensure it is a figure you could easily afford if necessary
- Covered for at least £1 million for medical expenses
- Covered for at least £1 million for personal liability
- Covered for at least £10 thousand for personal accident
- Repatriation to your home country – our parents wouldn’t let us choose insurance without this
- Activity cover – make sure you’re covered for the basics and think about if you need ‘add on’ cover for hiking (over a certain altitude), winter sports, extreme sports etc.
- Legal expenses
- Cover for lost, stolen or damaged possessions
- Gadget cover – it can be hard to find an affordable policy with enough cover on gadgets, so we also use www.ProtectYourBubble.com
- A 24-hour emergency helpline
- ALWAYS read the small print, if there is a loop not to pay out, look elsewhere
WHO IS THE BEST?
After hours of research, we chose World Nomads. Here are the main features why we use World Nomads travel insurance:
- It’s so EASY!
- Affordable & reliable
- You can buy and claim online, even after you’ve left home
- You can buy a World Nomads policy if you’re already travelling
- It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities
You can quickly get a quote using the below form. At no extra cost to you, we will earn a small referral fee which helps us maintain the site. Every little helps….
NEED MORE GADGET COVER?
If you’re a photographer, digital nomad or just love your gadgets, you may find that most policies do not cover all of your expensive kits. We have used www.ProtectYourBubble.com for many years, and find they are a cheaper alternative for keeping our beloved gadgets protected. We have successfully claimed for stolen & water damaged gadgets in the past and the excess charges are affordable. Furthermore, the more gadgets you ensure, the cheaper your policy.
HOW TO MAKE A CLAIM ON YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCE POLICY
- Print and carry your insurance documents with you
- Have the 24-hour emergency helpline saved in your phone
- Have receipts of any valuable possessions you may need to make a claim on
- If you’re not happy with their offer, dispute it with good reason
- Be patient and positive
We spent hours researching for the cheapest insurer but often found that the excess was too high or the small prints were too complicated. WORLD NOMADS made things straightforward as well as offering a competitive price on our policy. Invest in yourself with good travel insurance and you can enjoy your trip completely worry-free. Get a quote today using the form above and you can be insured from as little as $1 a day.
Well, that concludes our blog on backpack insurance with World Nomads, however, if you have any further questions we would be happy to help. Please leave them in the comment section below.
Happy travels and be safe.
Charlotte & Natalie x
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. That means that if you purchase through these links, we will earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. And we can continue bringing you free travel tips and advice. If you use our affiliates, you are awesome, and we thank you!
PIN IT FOR LATER