Being in love is a crazy, beautiful, and incomparable experience. While most of us will fall in love at least once in our lives, putting the feeling into words can be hard to do. That’s why I often turn to quotes for inspiration.
When I had the idea to put together this article, I wasn’t sure if there would be many quotes explicitly for lesbians. But as it turns out, there are hundreds of inspiring lesbian quotes about love, relationships, pride, and more.
And who isn’t a sucker for a great quote? They’re just wonderful, aren’t they? When you can’t find the right words to express how you feel, you know there will be a quote that sums it up perfectly.
So whether you’re in a lesbian relationship looking for cute lesbian quotes for your girlfriend, or perhaps you’re new to lesbian dating and looking for something witty or inspiring, there is sure to be a lesbian saying on this list for you.
So let’s get to it; here are 101+ of the best lesbian quotes and sayings.
*While I have tried my best to credit the legitimate author of each of these quotes, please do let me know if you spot any mistakes. Also, if you choose to use any of these quotes for Instagram or the like, please be sure to credit the author.
Cute Lesbian Quotes
- “Life is too short to ignore love.” – Unknown.
2. “He’s a she and ‘she’ is amazing.” – Unknown.
3. “You can’t control who you fall in love with.” – Unknown.
4. “You have to be willing to fight in order for a love story to last a lifetime.” – Cristina Marrero.
5. “The world has bigger problems than boys who kiss boys & girls who kiss girls.” – Unknown.
6. “Love is too beautiful to be hidden in a closet.” – Unknown.
7. “Being gay is like being left-handed. Some people are, most people aren’t, and nobody really knows why. It’s not right or wrong; it’s just the way things are.” – Unknown.
8. “Don’t ever be afraid to show off your true colours.” – Unknown.
9. “She is the gold at the end of the rainbow.” – Unknown.
10. “Love always wins.” –Unknown.
11. “Life is too short to ignore love.” – Unknown.
12. “Love is never wrong.” – Unknown.
13. “Love has no gender.” – Unknown.
14. “Love who your heart wants, not what your eyes want. Don’t worry about what others say or think. This love is yours, not theirs.” – Unknown.
Lesbian Love Quotes
15. “You don’t fall in love with the gender; you fall in love with the person.” – Sandra Alvarenga.
16. “It is not a matter of choosing girls over boys; it’s choosing happiness over society.” – Unknown.
17. “No one has imagined us. We want to live like trees, sycamores blazing through the sulfuric air, dappled with scars, still exuberantly budding, our animal passion rooted in the city.” – Adrienne Rich.
18. “Girls love each other like animals. There is something ferocious and unself-conscious about it. We don’t guard ourselves like we do with boys. No one trains us to shield our hearts from each other. With girls, it’s total vulnerability from the beginning. Our skin is bare and soft. We love with claws and teeth and the blood is just proof of how much. It’s feral.” – Leah Raeder.
19. “Being a lesbian means I have the opportunity to love what is uncommon, and I’m okay with that. I do not cry myself to sleep or am upset by the life that I lead because of who I care about. Because I accept the fact that it is simply love.” – Jenna Anne.
20. “No government has the right to tell its citizens when or whom to love.” – Rita Mae Brown.
21. “Lesbian existence comprises both the breaking of a taboo and the rejection of a compulsory way of life. It is also a direct or indirect attack on the male right of access to women.” – Adrienne Rich.
22. “I am a lesbian. It doesn’t mean I want to be a man. It doesn’t mean I hate men. It just means I am happy being a woman who is attracted to women.” – Unknown.
23. “I don’t understand the hatred and fear of gays and bisexuals and lesbians… it’s a concept I honestly cannot grasp. To me, it’s not who you love… a man, a woman, what have you… it’s the fact that you love. That is all that truly matters.” – Al Pacino.
24. “Any world which did not have a place for me loving women was not a world in which I wanted to live, nor one which I could fight for.” – Audre Lorde.
25. “We should never change who we are, just because society does not approve.” – Unknown.
26. “We deserve to experience love fully, equally, without shame and without compromise.” – Ellen Page.
Lesbian Relationship Quotes
27. “Cut the ending. Revise the script. The man of her dreams is a girl.” – Julie Anne Peters.
28. “Every day I can’t believe it. It’s such a joy to have such a great lady, and the beauty of freedom reveals itself to me in a time-release fashion.” –Chely Wright.
29. “I could say the same thing I’ve said in every relationship: I’m happy. But there’s happiness, and there’s love, and then there’s completion.” – Ellen DeGeneres.
30. “I’m in love with Christine because she’s her. If she were a man, would I be in love with her? I don’t know. We shop and cook and raise children–we both pitch in.” – Cynthia Nixon.
31. “My feelings for Ellen overrode all of my fear about being out as a lesbian. I had to be with her, and I just figured I’d deal with the other stuff later.” –Portia de Rossi.
32. “I don’t think most people understand what true love is. It’s not the cheesy “couple goals” posts for Instagram. It’s not the fancy dates, the happy hours, or the majestic nights laughing at silly movies. True love is waking up in the middle of the night to help you when you’re sick because I don’t want you to be sick alone. It’s being your shoulder to cry on, to vent to. True love is being your biggest cheerleader and toughest critic. True love is looking at each other on a spiritual level, a level so deep that you can feel them when they’re gone. True love is six little words, “no matter what, I got you.” – Sylvester Menutt.
33. “Two women don’t stay in love because they sleep in the same bed… but because they share the same dreams and are willing to fight for each other.” – Unknown.
34. “I think, in the future, people are going to look back and say, ‘I can’t believe that gay and lesbian people had to fight to be able to get married.'” – Edy Ganem.
35. “My prince charming is a princess.” – Unknown.
36. “I believe that marriage isn’t between a man and woman, but between love and love.” – Frank Ocean.
37. “Love is patient, love is kind, love means slowly losing your mind.” – Unknown.
38. “One day I’ll find her. And when they ask me how I knew she was the one, I’ll them ‘because she loved me in spite of all the unlovable pieces she had to pick up’.” – Leo Christopher.
39. “Love is Love.” – Unknown.
Inspiring Lesbian Quotes & Sayings
40. “I became a lesbian because of women, because women are beautiful, strong, and compassionate.” – Rita Mae Brown.
41. “I am a writer who happens to love women. I am not a lesbian who happens to write.” – Jeanette Winterson.
42. “Everybody’s journey is individual. If you fall in love with a boy, you fall in love with a boy. The fact that many Americans consider it a disease says more about them than it does about homosexuality.” – James Baldwin.
43. “Openness may not completely disarm prejudice, but it’s a good place to start.” – Jason Collins.
44. “When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all free.” – Barack Obama.
45. “This world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another.” – Elliot Page.
46. “The true feminist deals out of a lesbian consciousness whether or not she ever sleeps with women.” – Audre Lorde.
47. “Being a black lesbian myself, I roll my eyes a little bit when I see black lesbian characters on shows where it’s purely there for decoration. You can just hear it in the writer’s room… ‘What if we make her a lesbian?'” – Lena Waithe.
48. “Everyone is their own kind of lesbian. To think there’s a certain way to dress or present yourself in the world is just one more stereotype we have to fit into.” – Portia de Rossi.
49. “Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges.” – Bob Paris.
50. “All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential.” – Harvey Milk.
51. “It takes some intelligence and insight to figure out you’re gay and then a tremendous amount of balls to live it and live it proudly.” – Jason Bateman.
52. “I think being gay is a blessing, and it’s something I am thankful for every single day.” – Anderson Cooper.
53. “I very much want to inject gay culture into the mainstream. It’s not an underground tool for me. It’s my whole life.” – Lady Gaga.
54. “If you are in the closet and fall in love with someone of the same gender, it doesn’t automatically remove the shame and fear that’s kept you locked away. The love you are experiencing encourages you to face the reality that this is who you really are and also has the power to set you free. The richness, beauty and depths of love can only be fully experienced in a climate of complete openness, honesty and vulnerability. Love, the most powerful of human emotions, is calling you to freedom and wholeness.” – Anthony Venn Brown.
55. “There’s nothing wrong with you. There’s a lot wrong with the world you live in.” – Chris Colfer.
56. “Please remember, especially in these times of group-think and the right-on chorus, that no person is your friend (or kin) who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow and be perceived as fully blossomed as you were intended.” – Alice Walker.
57. “We should indeed keep calm in the face of difference, and live our lives in a state of inclusion and wonder at the diversity of humanity.” – George Takei.
58. “Where my evolution took place was not in my attitude toward same-sex couples, it was in understanding the pain and the sense of stigma that was being placed on same-sex couples who are friends of mine, where they’d say, “You know what, if you’re not calling it marriage, it doesn’t feel like the same thing.” – Barack Obama.
59. “Personally, coming out was one of the most important things I’ve ever done, lifting from my shoulders the millstone of lies that I hadn’t even realised I was carrying.” – Sir Ian McKellen.
60. “It’s been a journey and a process of becoming totally out and sort of living that truth and having it be a daily thing. I’m at the point now that I want people to know that, and I want to talk about it. We’re coming so far as a society, but we still have so far to go. So until we’re all the way there, I’ll probably die talking about it.” – Megan Rapinoe.
61. “The pressures on gay teens can be overwhelming–to keep secrets, tell lies, deny who you are, and try to be who you’re not. Remember: you are special and worth being cared about, loved, and accepted just as you are. Never, ever let anyone convince you otherwise.” – Alex Sanchez.
62. “I don’t want there to be gay marriage. I just want there to be happy marriage and lasting marriage and healthy marriage. And I look forward to a day when we don’t have to talk about it anymore.” – Pink.
63. “Find out who you are and be that person. That’s what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth, and everything else will come.” – Ellen De Generes.
64. “I don’t understand why people think that having a gay child means they failed as a parent. Disowning your child means you failed as a parent.” – Unknown.
65. “The beauty of standing up for your rights is others will see you standing and stand up as well.” – Cassandra Duffy.
66. “If God had wanted me otherwise, he would have created me otherwise.” – Erika Linder.
67. “I wanted to represent minorities in the respect of people who had been bullied in school or people who were gay or lesbian or trans or people who aren’t blonde haired and blue-eyed. I have short hair, and I am covered in tattoos. I like showing people that it’s within their rights to be different.” – Ruby Rose.
Lesbian Quotes for your Girlfriend
68. “Love is a wildfire that cannot be contained by any mere element known to man.” – Cristina Marrero.
69. “I found you in the clarity of the moon, Not the rigor of the sun. Not in the light, where it’s easier to see, but when the world is blind and loves eyes are free.” – Malika E Nura.
70. “I’m the luckiest girl, with a girl like you.” – Unknown.
71. “A sea of whiskey couldn’t intoxicate me as much as a drop of you.” – J.S. Parker.
72. “I let you into my world, and then you became it.” – Unknown.
73. “Thank you for reminding me what butterflies feel like.” – Unknown.
74. “You are the girl that I’ve been dreaming of, ever since I was a little girl.” – Unknown.
75. “She was beautiful, but not like those girls in the magazines. She was beautiful for the way she thought. She was beautiful for that sparkle in her eyes when she talked about something she loved. She was beautiful for her ability to make other people smile even if she was sad. No, she wasn’t beautiful for something as temporary as her looks. She was beautiful, deep down to her soul.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald.
76. “Sometimes I look at you and I wonder how I got to be so damn lucky.” –Unknown.
77. “I choose you. And I’ll choose you over and over and over. Without pause, without a doubt, in a heartbeat. I’ll keep choosing you.” – Unknown.
78. “I will love you as long as the sun burns the sky, as long as the moon shines its light into the dark night, until the raging blue oceans become calm and run dry. I will love you until the end of time.” – Christy Ann Martine.
79. “I want to hold your hand at 80 and say, ‘We made it’.” – Unknown.
80. “‘I Love You”. That means I’m not just here for the pretty parts. I’m here no matter what.” – Unknown.
81. “What if I were to kiss every wound and every scar to show you how beautiful you really are? Your imperfections are perfection to me.” – Onur Taskiran.
82. “There is my heart, and then there is you, and I’m not sure there is a difference.” – A.R. Asher.
83. “I was yours before we even touched each other.” – Parth.
84. “Your eyes set fire to my soul. Your hands set fire to my skin. Your words set fire to my mind. Every part of me is blushing and burning from you.” – N.R. Hart.
85. “She’s the spark that set my soul on fire.” – Unknown.
Funny Lesbian Quotes
86.“Straighteners don’t work. I’ve been using one for two weeks, and I’m still a lesbian.” – Unknown.
87. “If Harry Potter taught us anything, it’s that no one should live in a closet.” – J.K. Rowling.
88. “We are both ‘the girl’ in the relationship. That’s kinda the point.” – Unknown.
89. “I kissed a boy, and I didn’t like it.” – Unknown.
90. “Bisexuality immediately doubles your chances for a date on Saturday night.” – Woody Allen.
91. “Keep calm and love who the hell you want.” – Unknown.
92. “The more boys I meet, the more I realise that yeah, I’m for sure a lesbian.” – Unknown.
93. “Do we have to know who’s gay and who’s straight? Can’t we just love Everybody and judge them by the car they drive?” – Ellen DeGeneres.
94. “I hate the word homophobia. It’s not a phobia. You’re not scared. You’re an asshole.” – Morgan Freeman.
95. “In a world of cheerios, be a fruit loop.” – Quinn Ciesielski.
96. “Let’s get one thing straight; I’m not.” – Unknown.
97. “Finally accepting the fact that I’m a lesbian. Now I have to tell my husband.” – Unknown.
98. “People will stare. Make it worth their while.” Harry Winston.
99. “Claiming that some else’s marriage is against your religion, is like being angry with someone for eating a donut when you’re on a diet”. – Anonymous.
100. “Not to brag or anything, but we make a really cute couple.” – Unknown.
101. “Don’t tell anyone at the church this, but I think girls going out with girls is quite sensible. Imagine not having to do all the housework, and if you found a nice girl the same size you’d have double the wardrobe and you’d never have to shave your legs or clean whiskers out of the sink. I don’t know why everyone doesn’t do it. No it’s fine, provided you stay that way. It’s the changing back to men that sends you mad.” – Tony Jordan.
102. “Sure, I could tell you I am no longer a lesbian or that I am no longer attracted to women and am straight, or I could even tell you the moon is made of cheese. I could tell you many things, but the moon will still not be made of cheese, and I will still not be attracted to men.” – Cristina Marrero.
103. “I think choosing between men and women is like choosing between cake and ice cream. You’d be daft not to try both when there are so many different flavors.” – Bjork.
104. “Asking who’s the man and who’s the woman in a same-sex relationship us like asking which chopstick is the fork.” – Ellen Degeneres.
105. “The only queer people are those who don’t love anybody” – Rita Mae Brown
Thank You For Reading!
Did you enjoy our list of lesbian love quotes and sayings? Let us know which are your favourites or if you have any others that you think deserves a spot on our list.
For more inspiring quotes, check out our list of travel couple quotes and quotes for travelling with friends to help inspire your wanderlust.
Or if you’re looking for more lesbian lifestyle content, see our recent blog posts including dating advice for newbie lesbians, lesbian sex tips for your first time, and the best lesbian hairstyles for 2021.
We love hearing from you. Please reach out to us in the comment section below, or through our contact us page. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram here, where we share further travel advice & inspiration.
All our love,
Charlotte & Natalie x
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. That means that if you purchase through these links, we will earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. And we can continue bringing you free travel tips and advice. If you found the content helpful and are kind enough to use our affiliates – you are awesome, and we thank you!